Tuesday, April 28, 2015

How to choose an Apple Watch

Well you heard the hype now you want one, but what the hell are the differences between the many different models of the Apple Watch, and which one should you really buy? 

Well if your like me and want an Apple Watch you may be a little lost, so here are some things to consider. 

The cheapest model seems to be the same as the rest except for 4 features, the size, the band, the glass and finally the metal. So now that we got that out of the way how do you make the right choice?  it's seems pretty easy to me as I have been buying Macs for years and I've always wanted the latest and the greatest. What I have learned over time is the most expensive model this year doesn't seem as great next year when the newer models comes out. I find I would rather sell my Mac every 2 years and replace it, then get the most expensive one this year and hold unto it for another year because I spent so much and want to make sure I got the value. I wonder will it be the same with the Apple Watch?


Yes I am going to say it and say it out loud! I will want to replace the Apple Watch every year for the newer cooler model who am I kidding.  I know myself I will try to hold off telling myself I can wait, until the need and the want overwhelm me and I will drop the cash in year 2 as I always do.


So let's be smarter this time around, let me analyze what I really want! Ok I want the $12,000 gold Apple Watch who wouldn't? but I can't afford that so that ends that choice.


What about the cheapest one around $349-$399 well that has a Aluminum face and a rubber band strap, but I think I would want the larger face so I would get a 42mm as opposed to the 38mm which is only a difference of around $50 dollars.  I like the silver incasement but they also have the gray aluminum which is the metal part of the watch. So if I go with the cheapest model (the sports) I'm spending $399 not too bad and I am getting the bigger face which it awesome. Now the question is what am I losing out on if I don't upgrade my choice to the midrange version same size.


First I am not getting a leather band and better scratch resistant crystal face. I am also not getting the stainless steel case which seems brighter on the website. Hmmm how important are those additional items and are they worth the $699 price tag $300 over the cheapest one. Lastly the mid range one I hear is a also a bit heavier not sure if that's a plus or a minus. 


Well there you have it time for decision making! I really want to buy the $699 Apple Watch but If I buy the $399 one I can save the $300 which I could put towards a brand new model next year.  After-all will I really care about scratches all that much since I will be replacing it?. Who knows what the new capabilities Apple will come up with in next years model I'm sure it will be great it as always is!!


I'm probably buying the $399 one! and another one next year!


Update 2016 - I am now waiting for the next round of watches I never buoght the first round because they often haven't worked out all the kinks for example buying the Iphone 6 or the Iphone 6s, I always buy the S version looks like the same will go for the watch.


Get them all on AMAZON